Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has described as ‘cock and bull story’, the allegation that he played a role in the collapse of Platinum Habib Bank, Bank PHB.
Veloxnews had reported that the Federal Government of Nigeria on Friday said Atiku would be questioned when he returns from the United States.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, who disclosed this while briefing State House correspondents on Friday said the government would investigate Atiku’s alleged role in the collapse of former Bank PHB.
According to him the investigation was “following fresh evidence that he (Atiku) benefitted from slush funds that led to the collapse of Bank PHB.”
But reacting, Atiku in a statement issued Phrank Shaibu, his special assistant on public communication, challenged the federal government to either prove his alleged corrupt activities, or forever remain quiet.
He stated that the federal government should bury its head in shame having failed to stop him from travelling to the US.
He said, “It is disgusting to continue to spin allegations of corruption against me by people who have failed to come forward with a single shred of evidence of my misconduct while in office. Isn’t it a shame that the ruling party whose National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole only yesterday gave official confirmation to the general belief that, even if Lawrence Anini becomes an APC member today, Buhari will forgive and consecrate him can turn around to accuse me of corruption today?
“They just suddenly woke up to the reality that, their lies about Atiku being corrupt can no longer hold? I challenge the federal government to come up with evidence that I benefitted from N156 million slush funds through Claremont Management Services Account on 13th January, 2009 as well as the collapse of Bank PHB as they have alleged.
“It is instructive to note that, the same BankPHB is now Keystone bank which was said to have been acquired Buhari’s cronies through AMCON last year,” Mr Abubakar said.
Atiku also said with or without a trip to the U.S., he will defeat the President Muhammadu Buhari at next month’s election.
“Tell them that their days of deceit are numbered. Nigerians are tired of them and they can no longer lie or take the people for a ride anymore,” the statement said.
”It was a mark of the idleness of the folks in charge of the APC that they resorted to lobbying the US to deny him (Atiku) visa, when they should be busy strategising on how to save their party from an imminent defeat.
“I am shocked that the minders of the governing APC can be lobbying the US to deny me a visa, when no other party is in a bigger mess than the APC following the confusion arising from its unprecedented record of non-performance.
“There is no need to worry, as we shall unveil on Sunday, January 20, 2019 “Buhari’s Hall Of Shame”. It’s a scorecard of failure, incompetence, nepotism and a President’s proclivity to harbouring indicted and other famed thieves of our patrimony. Date and venue shall be made public in due course.
”Never in the history of Nigeria have the people being subjected to the kind of unemployment level that the country is now witnessing under the All Progressives Congress (APC). It is indeed a double tragedy that a government that cannot even provide for the people is also unable to ensure their security.
“Having failed woefully, it is time for the Buhari led administration and APC governments at all levels to be kicked out through the forthcoming general elections,” the statement added.