Home Blog Page 502

Woman arraigned for allegedly stabbing brother-in-law with broken bottle

0



A 33-year-old woman identified as Chioma Iwu on Friday appeared before a Yaba Chief Magistrates’ court in Lagos, for allegedly stabbing her brother-in-law with a broken bottle.

Iwu, who resides in Lekki area of Lagos, is charged with assault.

The police prosecutor, ASP Roman Unuigbe, told the court that the accused committed the offence at the complainant’s residence at Flat T20, unit 3, Lekki Gardens, phase IV in Ajah area of Lagos.

Unuigbe said that the complainant, Mr Nwobike Godwin, had a misunderstanding with his wife and demanded some belongings which resulted to an argument between him and the accused.

He said, ‘’that the accused went into a room and brought out a broken bottle and stabbed her brother-in-law on his left hand and head.

‘’The offence is punishable under Section 246 (a) of the Criminal laws of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).’’

The accused, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Chief Magistrate Peter Ojo, in his ruling, admitted the accused to bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties in like sum.

Ojo ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed with an evidence of three years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

He adjourned the case until Dec 19 for trial.

Tuface Idibia compares Ghana Airport to Nigeria’s, mocks nation’s leaders [VIDEO]

0



Legendary Tuface Idibia has taken a swipe at Nigerian leaders over the state of the nation, especially its airport.

Tuface in a viral video on social media slammed Nigerian leaders over the state of the nation as he landed in Accra, Ghana for a visit.

In the video at Kotoka airport, Tuface impressed by the outlook of the airport said, “You dey see levels for here, shame no dey catch some people for our side?”

Recall that Tuface had sometimes blasted President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration over the state of the economy and his inability to secure lives of Nigerians.



Kante signs new contract with Chelsea, weekly pay revealed

0



Chelsea midfielder, N’Golo Kante has signed a new five-year contract at Stamford Bridge.

The deal is worth £290,000 per week.

“I’m happy to extend my time with Chelsea, it has been two beautiful years and I wish for more to come,” Kante told the club’s official website.

“Since I came, I completely improved as a player, challenged myself and got some awards I never thought about. I like the city, I like the club and I am happy to be here for more time.”

Also speaking, the Club director, Marina Granovskaia said: “We are delighted N’Golo has signed a new contract and sees his long-term future with Chelsea.

“When he arrived, we knew we had signed a special player but he has astounded everybody with his tireless and unselfish displays.

“Off the pitch, he remains a dedicated professional and a humble human being despite the fact he is a world champion and a two-time Premier League winner.

“We now look forward to five more years with N’Golo at the heart of the Chelsea midfield.”

Kante, who joined the Blues in 2016, won the Premier League title in his debut campaign before last season’s FA Cup triumph.

Shehu Sani speaks on Atiku’s plans to sell public companies, calls out his ‘accomplices’ in APC

0



Shehu Sani, the Senator representing Kaduna Central has waded into the controversy on the plans by the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Atiku Abubakar to sell off public companies.

Atiku had during an interview vowed to sell off 90% of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) corporation and privatize it if elected as President.

He explained that he will privatize parts of NNPC because it has been “beset by decades of mismanagement and is crucial to OPEC member’s economic fortunes.

Atiku has since then come under attack.

However, Sani, reacting, urged those criticising Atiku to also ‘throw mud at his accomplices in the ruling party.’

According to him, his accomplices are members of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

The Kaduna lawmaker wrote: “As you continue to throw mud on the ex-Vice President for his role in auctioning our public owned companies, don’t forget to throw some on ‘his accomplices’ who now occupy the comfortable seat of saints in the ruling party, in Nigeria’s prevailing priggish and sententious politics.”

Emir Sanusi reveals why he compelled traditional rulers to undergo drug test

0



The Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammad Sanusi II, has revealed that he compelled all traditional leaders in Kano State to undergo drug test in order to lead by example.

The monarch stated this at a 1-day sensitization workshop against drug abuse organised by Daily Trust newspaper in Kano State yesterday.

Represented by Turakin Kano, Alhaji Abdullahi Lamido Sanusi, the emir said, “I started with myself and then directed all district heads, village heads and ward heads to also undergo same test.”

Emir Sanusi said the Kano emirate council had made drug test mandatory before title is conferred, adding that, “anybody that is found to be drug addict that person has automatically disqualified himself. This is the tradition in Kano emirate council. I introduced this so that I can lead by example.”

Sanusi called on parents to always keep eyes on their children as, according to him, charity always begins at home.

He also urged the government to map out strategies to curtail the menace of drug abuse in the society.

“The menace of drug abuse is another Boko Haram. It is a serious challenge not only to those in the corridors of power but to every right-thinking person,” Sanusi and cautioned youth to desist from any act capable of leading them into drug abuse.

Prophet dupes Apostle of N6m

0



A prophet, Vincent Adewunmi was on Friday arraigned in an Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court, Lagos for allegedly defrauding one Apostle Austin Okeke of N6.35 million.

Adewunmi, 36, of no fixed address, is charged with two counts of conspiracy and obtaining by false pretence.

The prosecutor, Sgt. John Iberedem, told the court that the accused committed the offence between the month of May and August 2018 at Ori-Okuta, Owutu in Ikorodu.

He said that the accused, a prophet of a particular church, fraudulently obtained the money from the complainant, with a promise to secure an Australian visa for about 12 members of his Church.

Iberedem said that the offence contravened the provisions of section 411 and 314 of the criminal laws of Lagos State of Nigeria 2015, NAN reports.

The accused, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against him.

Chief Magistrate F.A Azeez, in ruling, admitted the accused to bail in the sum of two million Naira with two sureties in like sum and adjourned the case until Dec.20, for mention.

EPL: Ibrahimovic reveals what he told Mourinho before leaving Manchester United

0



Former Manchester United player, Zlatan Ibrahimovic has revealed what he told Jose Mourinho before leaving United.

Ibrahimovic arrived Old Trafford during the summer transfer window of 2016 after spending four successful seasons at Paris Saint-Germain, PSG.

Ibrahimovic scored a total of 28 goals in 46 appearances in his first season at United, helping the club win the EFL Cup and Europa League to qualify for the Champions League.

After suffering a serious injury towards the end of the season, Ibrahimovic was unable to rediscover his top form for the Red Devils before agreeing to leave the club in March 2018.

Ibrahimovic subsequently signed for LA Galaxy and has revealed what he told Mourinho before he bid farewell.

“This was a new challenge for me [the injury] and I said I would come back when I was ready and I would play exactly as I did before,” Ibrahimovic told BBC Sport.

“When I cannot do that I will not continue in football because I’m not here for charity. After my injury, when I was selected, I said to Jose Mourinho,

“I do not want to disappoint you or my team-mates. You had a Zlatan before the injury and you had one after the injury and I cannot give you the Zlatan that you are used to, that’s why I will not give you this Zlatan because I’m not ready.

“My second year at United, I was not feeling ready, I was feeling different, it was like I was starting at zero and I had to teach my knee how to play football again.

“After a while, my confidence grew, I needed a new environment to feel that I was comfortable.”

Nigerians warned against using sniper to preserve beans

0



The Coordinating Director, Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service (NAQS), Dr Vincent Isegbe, has warned dealers in beans to desist from using a sniper to store the produce as the chemical is too toxic for human consumption.

Its Head of Media Unit of NAQS, Dr. Chigozie Nwodo, in a statement said Isegbe lamented that it was very alarming that a notoriously lethal substance has become a pesticide of choice for storage of beans in the country.

Isegbe said: “The substance in question is an organophosphate called 2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate (DDVP) which is dangerous to health if misapplied as a pesticide. It is capable of causing death if inhaled or ingested in sufficient quantities. This is because the compound can bind to the lung or kidney and may become carcinogenic.”

“Sniper ought not to come in contact with any edible material that would eventually be ingested by human beings. Sniper in beans is a material equivalent of death in pot. Nigerians eat a lot of beans. It is a very popular staple food item in this part of the world. So it may not be an exaggeration to say that sniper in beans is a weapon of mass destruction.’’

He urged beans dealers to respect the sanctity of human life. He advised them to withdraw beans already preserved with Sniper from the market and destroy them.

50-year-old man remands in prison for allegedly cutting wife’s hand over N13,000 in Ibadan

0



A 50-year-old man, Olusola Ojewole was on Thursday remanded in Agodi Prison, Ibadan by an Iyaganku Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital for allegedly cutting his wife’s hand over N13,000.

Ojewole who was dragged to court after allegedly cutting his wife’s hand with cutlass on the suspicion that she stole N13,000 he had kept in the house.

Ojewole, of Iyana Apapa area, Moniya, Ibadan, is facing a charge of an attempt to kill his wife, Dorcas Olusegun.

Police prosecutor, Opeyemi Olagunju, had told the court that on November 4, at about 12 noon, the accused attempted to kill Dorcas by cutting her left hand with a cutlass, resulting in a deep cut.

Olagunju said, “Ojewole alleged that Dorcas stole N13,000 he kept in his room, but the complainant denied the accusation.

“The matter later led to hot arguments between the couple, which prompted Dorcas to flee to a co-tenant’s room.

“She thought the accused had gone, but as she opened her neighbour’s door, the accused attacked her and cut her hand with cutlass”.

He said that the money was later found in the couple’s room after the assault.

He said that the offence contravened Section 320 of the Criminal Code Cap 38, Vol. II, Laws of Oyo State 2000.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr. Abdulateef Adebisi in his ruling said that the accused would be in prison custody until December 27 when the case would come up for mention.

Adebisi did not take the plea of the accused.

EPL: Mourinho hits back at Iker Casillas amid ongoing row

0



Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho has branded former Real Madrid goalkeeper, Iker Casillas’ latest comments as “an interview with someone who is at the end of his career” after the Spaniard criticised the Portuguese for his conduct at Madrid.

The duo had clashed during Mourinho’s time at the Santiago Bernabeu, with Casillas accusing his former manager of bringing “moments of great tension”.

However, he admitted his regret for not taking ‘the bull by the horns’ and confronting the Manchester United boss.

“He was brought in to compete with Barcelona and brought moments of great tension and that Madridismo that I mentioned that I don’t like came out, there was a limit that he went to with me that I didn’t want to go to,” Casillas told Universo Valdano channel, Vamos.

“The third year wasn’t all good, although we won La Liga and it seems that there were many people whose relationship was shaken.

“It wasn’t good for him, nor for me nor for the club. I think if it happened all over again, I would have taken the bull by the horns and faced Mourinho.

“At that time, I opted to be quiet and I thought that was the way to honour the values of Real Madrid.

“Nobody has wanted to talk about Mourinho to this day and I think it is maybe better to let it be and let it go.”

Mourinho was clearly unimpressed with Casillas’ recent explosive comments and claimed that the World Cup winner wasn’t telling the truth.

He told Record, “This interview gives the idea of being an interview with someone who is at the end of his career.

“But when it comes to me, when he says that he has never confronted me, that does not correspond to the truth, in which there is no one to do it better than him: hidden!”