A Met Police investigation into Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein has been dropped and ‘no further action’ will be taken.
Officers confirmed last night that they are no longer looking into sexual abuse allegations made by Virginia Giuffre as part of a US civil lawsuit against the Queen’s son.
She claims she was trafficked by Epstein, the duke’s former friend, to have sex with Andrew in London when she was aged 17 and a minor under US law.
The duke has denied all the allegations.
The Met Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick asked her officers to look again at the allegations when the US legal action was filed in August.
In a radio interview, she said ‘no-one is above the law’ when questioned about claims of sexual assault against Andrew.
She added: ‘It’s been reviewed twice before, we’ve worked closely with the Crown Prosecution Service, we are of course open to working with authorities overseas, we will give them every assistance if they ask us for anything within the law obviously.
‘As a result of what’s going on I’ve asked my team to have another look at the material.’
The review reportedly involved officers contacting Ms Giuffre, who now lives in Australia, but it is not clear if she was formally interviewed.
On Sunday, the Met said: ‘As a matter of procedure MPS officers reviewed a document released in August 2021 as part of a US civil action. This review has concluded and we are taking no further action.’
The update – first reported by Channel 4 News – also confirmed the force had completed its review into allegations reported in June by the broadcaster that British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell, the late Epstein’s former girlfriend, trafficked, groomed and abused women and girls in the UK.
The Met said: ‘We also reviewed information passed to us by a media organisation in June 2021. This review is complete and no further action will be taken.’
The force said it is continuing to liaise with other law enforcement agencies who are leading the investigation into matters associated with Epstein.
The Met said they do not confirm who they might have spoken to as part of police inquiries.
Last week, a US judge agreed for Andrew’s lawyers to receive a copy of a 2009 settlement they believe will nullify the civil case against the royal.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at email@example.com
For more stories like this, check our news page.